One problem that I am starting to run into is performance. I have to make sure I run an app killer before starting the blocks editor.
There are a lot of screenshots so I could get all of my blocks. Click on the pictures to see them in a larger size.
So far, the most significant thing I learned is work in small pieces. It is better to have several procedures with small responsibilities than to have one big procedure that does a bunch of things. On the same lines of thinking, I find it better to have multiple screens than to have one screen and hide and show pieces as necessary.
My favorite part is being able to see the changes real time. In the past it has been program for a day and then hope it works. Watching the changes happen as I program incorporates a lot of the debugging process.
Plus, who doesn’t enjoy having their android device say random phrases.
A couple of the more frustrating parts are; not being able to copy blocks from one screen to another and having to make a list of components to use the generic “any” function. Overall, these are just annoyances and add to the programming time, but easy enough to work around and through.
So far so good. The app is programming just as I expected.
I changed my intro screen from having a submit button to just timing out and automatically moving on to the next screen.
The buttons for/each loop was a little challenging at first figuring out how to get components into the loop. I made a variable with a list of all the components of the buttons.
My app will help kindergarteners learn their letters and numbers.
Desired Features:multiple users, admin/report feature, letter/number id, letter/number trace
I would also like to mess around with the tinywebDB to see if I can create more robust user reports.
I plan to use parts of the molemash app for the letter id screen. I plan to use parts of the paintpot app for the character tracing. The data will be managed through extensive tinyDB values like I did for the quiz app.
Interesting assignment. While the project itself was straight forward, I found it a little difficult coming up with significant modifications.
I started with multiple quizzes with multiple choice answers. I didn’t like where it was going. I switched to making Mad Libs and it was really fun.
I wanted to have a picture of each part of speech, but I couldn’t find pictures that I liked, so I have background pictures that are dependent on which quiz is being taken.
I set all of the variables to tinyDBs because my app has 4 screens and I found that tinyDBs are the easiest way to pass information from one screen to the next.
My app now has a choice of quizzes, each with a distinctive different set of answers required to complete the mad lib. The answers are persistent (on purpose) so I also included a reset button to clear the answers. On the last screen, my app reads the finished mad lib. I included buttons for American and British English. I tried other countries, but the rest sounded the same. I tried other languages, but the result was mostly unintelligible.
When I started modifying this app, I wanted to be able to select from a couple different quizzes. The lists of questions and answers would be dependent on what quiz was selected. As I was researching what to have my quizzes about, I stumbled across some Mad Libs…
Now my app has (3 currently) choices for different quizzes. I use tinydb to pass information from screen to screen. I have a reset button to clear the contents.
Overall this week’s app was not too hard. The original app took an hour or so, my additions added about 8 more hours of work.
I found out the problem with the blocks editor. I have to disable my virus protection while I am in AppInventor.
My two favorite parts of this app are the arrow which points to the destination and the list of recent destinations.
My vision is that you could have a list of common destinations that you could select from. Maybe you could save every fishing hole on a lake or locations of hunting blinds.
The app works fine, but I am having a tough time with the GPS function. I think it is mainly my phone because when it first starts up, or when a new destination is set, the distance and direction are fairly accurate. As I move, walking or driving, the gps seems to be very iffy as far as accuracy. I tried many things, including disabling then enabling the gps every time a location is found.
This week I made a lot of adjustments. This week’s assignment should be fairly easy accommodate many different educational needs.
Most of my time this week was spent trying to get the AppInventor to work. About once in 15 tries, the blocks editor works. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work well, or what is different about the 15th time vs. the 3rd, 5th, or even 10th time. It is very frustrating. I have tried reboots, clear caches, reinstall browsers/java, reinstall phone drivers. Maybe there will be an update that fixes whatever my problem is.
Overall, I am finding AppInventor a very intuitive and easy to navigate tool. Whenever I am stuck or I want to change something, it is easy to find support via google search.